Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cluckin' Amazing Cornish Hens


If you want to impress without a lot of frantic fuss, roast a couple Cornish hens. You’ll make Martha Stewart look like an amateur and your guest screaming your praises. I have never attempted roasting a whole bird before so I admit I was a bit of a chicken to try. But oh my dear readers, this was cluckin’ simple.

I have always wondered about these little birds and what on earth they were exactly. So I googled them naturally and found out that alas, despite the name, it is not a game bird but actually a type of domestic chicken. I am not a fan of gamey goods so that pleased me immensely. Fancy name for a simple animal. As I was reading I recalled the Seinfield episode where Costanza was reprimanded at an upper-class dinner for calling the Cornish game hen wrongly "a little chicken”. So make sure when you’re boasting your menu you brand the bird correctly friends. You’re welcome.

Roasted Cornish Hens

I roasted 2 hens with loads of lemon, herbs de provence, garlic and leeks. They were pretty snug in my small pyrex but cooked evenly. I also added a little chicken stock to keep them moist. Next time I will probably cook in a larger dish and add potatoes. I served this dish with sautéed asparagus and wild rice. The stock and juices I poured over the bird and rice before serving.

Ingredients
·         2 Cornish Hens
·         6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
·         kosher salt, ground black pepper
·         herbs de provence
·         I large leek, chopped (white part only)
·         2 lemons, quartered
·         extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Place your birds in a glass pan with about an inch of chicken stock. In both birds insert 2 cloves of garlic in the cavity, as well as the leek and half of a lemon. Coat both with olive oil then liberally massage all spices, covering all of the skin. Place remainder of the lemon around and on top of the birds as well as the remainder of your garlic.

Roast for 65-75 minutes, or until juices run clear.

Let rest for 10 minutes before plating and serving.

Gloat and gleam from all the compliments.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment