Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Now Infamous, Spinach, Rice & Feta Pie

You’ve asked, I’ve delivered. Our Spinach Rice, and Feta Pie Recipe. Why am I using “our” instead of “my” you ask? Because I must give dual props to my wonderful husband. The original recipe was his, and we made it frequently during our brief journey in vegetarianism. Can you make that an ‘ism’? Seems right.

I digress.

We decided to make a few changes to the recipe, making it gluten free, and healthier. It is so easy to make, and keeps for days! I am not a leftover person myself, but this changes all the rules. I must confess that I am a perpetual packer of leftovers, and never a consumer of the day old remains of my lunches and dinners. I place the food neatly in airtight containers, insuring its freshness…then it sits. And sits. Until it’s thrown out. My attempt at green eating, and food conservation ultimately fails in my fridge. I will work on this my friends. Now that I have put the demon out there, it shall be conquered. Starting with a delicious spinach pie that, wait…tastes even better the day after! AND COLD! I usually have to AT THE VERY LEAST heat my leftovers. I was never the cold pizza for breakfast gal. But this, can stand on its own two feet, in any temperature. More than I can say for myself. I have to be thawed below 65 degrees.

So here you are dear readers and followers, the spinach pie recipe. I am happy to oblige. Now go get cookin’!

Spinach, Rice, and Feta Pie

•2 tsps margarine
•¾ cup onion chopped
•2 tsps brown rice flour
•½ tsp kosher salt
•¼ tsp pepper
•1 ½ cups organic skim milk
•2 cups organic brown rice- cooked
•¾ cup feta cheese, crumbled
•1 large free range organic egg-lightly beaten
•2 large free range organic egg whites
•10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
•Olive Oil cooking spray
•2 tbs parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400°.

Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and saute for about 3 minutes. Stir in the brown rice flour, kosher salt, and pepper. Gradually add your milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook 1 minute or until it becomes slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in the cooked rice, crumbled feta cheese, egg, egg whites, and spinach.
Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pie.

Cover and chill in the refrigerator (if making ahead of time)

To serve, let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
Bake pie at 400° for 35 minutes or until set. Broil 2 minutes or until pie is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment