Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let's Talk Thanksgiving & Local Thanksgivings

I am very much a celebrator of Thanksgiving. You won't find me hanging my stockings with care until I have dined and stuffed myself fuller than the turkey.

I feel it's only decent to give Thanksgiving the time and respect it deserves. The pilgrims didn't peace pipe it with the Indians over a bird for nothing my friends.

I love Christmas time, but December is the month I dedicate to it's festivities. The month of November is a great time to think about all the wonderful blessings we have in our lives. Like for instance, I am thankful that there are so many more gluten free conscious places in Tulsa now! It’s amazing how quickly our city adapted to people’s needs and I am so grateful to be living in a community that aims to please and satisfy it’s consumers.

So before Turkey Day arrives, I want to share a local downtown restaurant that has helped me wind into Thursday’s celebration… Mod’s Coffee and Crepes. Every Tuesday, Mod’s opens it’s doors and arms to the g-free community, making glorious gluten free crepes.

I have not had a crepe since my French Club days back in high school, and they are just as delicious as I remember. Well, probably more delicious as we were making ours on a portable griddle, masking any recipe flaw with gobs of nutella, but as president I was happy to make this a Friday morning tradition nonetheless.

I digress back to modern day and Mod’s. I have been a friend of theirs on facebook for a few months and have seen posts about their gluten free crepe Tuesdays for quite some time, but have never been able to stop by to try, until today that is. I tried the Spicy Turkey and Cranberry Crepe, perfect for preparation for Thursday’s feast.
My oh my friends, I could not get enough! The crepe was lighter than any wrap I have had, the cranberry was fresh and delicious, a little spicy mustard, turkey, and cheese and perfection was accomplished. The portions are quite generous, but I felt as light and fluffy as my lunch when I left. My husband tried the baked ham and green apple and said it was remarkable.
He forgot to order the gluten free so I was unfortunately not able to try but I'll trust his palate preferences. He does live with a cook that makes him taste test the good, the bad, and sometimes the ugly after all. We split the nutella and banana gluten free crepe for dessert
which ended our delightful lunch. I got to reminiscence in my nutella days from French club too. Les crêpes étaient remarquablement délicieux!
(Side note:Please excuse any tense or gramatically incorrections those of you who are more brushed up in your french flair.)

So I am giving a large THANKS this Thanksgiving to Mod’s for your AMAZING crepes and consideration for the gluten free community. Make a spot for me by the window as you are now my new Tuesday tradition! If you are g-free, vegan, or just a local food connoisseur, get your bum downtown!

Mod’s is open Mon: 11am-2pm, Tues-Fri: 11am-10pm, and Sat:4pm-10pm
http://www.modscrepes.com/

1 comment:

  1. Those are some delicious crepes! I also went to Mod's for the first time and tried the turkey and cranberry! It was so yummy, I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete