Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Stupid Cupid


Cupid's arrows struck me hard yesterday pointing me in the decadent direction of desserts. Isn’t that what one craves when your other half is whispering sweet somethings in your ear? Or in my case when I am greeted at the door by my seven year old about to burst to give me my valentines box of chocolates. Said chocolates came in a heart shaped pink box covered in fake pink roses and doilies. My boys (husband of course too) know how to make my heart melt.


So I in return baked up something to make them melt. My object of affection was also pink, also included hearts, and came in a different kind of doily. Bursting flavors cupped and baked into cute cakes. Kissed with x’s and o’s in sweet pink frosting. I don’t think they have ever been more excited about excessive pink details.

When looking up recipes for gluten free strawberry cupcakes, one in particular popped up periodically. Many bloggers made Elana’s, http://www.elanaspantry.com/, recipe and received raving reviews on its flavors, easy instruction, and simple ingredients. In a time of cupcake wars and competitive frou frou accented mini cakes, simple sounded right up our alley. Plus I wanted to spend most of my time snuggling by the fire watching cheesy valentines shows. Okay I am kind of kidding, quit rolling your eyes…unless they are rolling back into your head in ecstasy because you are reading this and enjoying the cupcakes already. Ecstasy eye rolling is permitted on Valentines day.

Since I was rushing around like a woman in love yesterday (a polite way of saying I was rushing around like a maniac blinded by pepper spray) I had to make slight alterations and used store bought gluten free strawberry icing. If you plop it into a zip lock and cut off the tip it makes it easy to pipe cute little somethings on the muffin tops!

Thanks Elana for this fantastic recipe!


The hubby helped ice too!
Elana’s Strawberry Cupcakes

Ingredients
• ½ cup coconut flour

• 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
• ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 4 large eggs
• ½ cup agave nectar
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup finely chopped fresh strawberries

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, agave nectar, and vanilla extract. Blend the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined, then fold in the strawberries.
Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 1 hour.

Happy Valentines to you fabulous readers!









No comments:

Post a Comment