Friday, March 2, 2012

40 days & 40 nights

Remember in highschool/college you gave up something for lent that inevitably aided in your mission to lose weight? You had this amazing perception of 40 days of diet bliss where you would emerge on Easter and look glowing and thin? I had my spiritual goals I made for Church and then my “giving up” something goals I wrote down at the Catholic school I attended. No fried food, no refined sugar, etc.


Maybe I should have focused on a less “shallow goal” if you will but hey, I looked at serving two purposes and all leading to a healthier enlightened life right? Right?

Anyhoo, this year I was deciding on what I was going to give up for lent. After much deliberation, I decided that I was going to give up “raising my voice”. I don’t do it often, but when I do it is unbecoming. I never wanted to be the person that yelled when I was frustrated or didn’t get my way. Maybe with another year under my belt I am growing wiser. Maybe.

But I gave up fried food too. What can I say, old habits die hard.

That said I bring you a delicious recipe. You knew that was coming right? If I am going to be perceived as shallow a pursuer of 40 day health, I might as well give you a finger lickin’ UNfried recipe out of it to redeem myself. One of the hardest things for me to turn down is French fries so I knew that had to be one of my “Lenten revamp recipes.” Oh I do adore a good French fry…and 40 days without one? Get OUT of here!

Garlic & Rosemary Baked French Fries
Baked to crispy crunch with seasoning that melts over your tongue, these un-fried fries definitely compete with it’s deep fryer counter part.

Ingredients
  • 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tbs dry rosemary
  • 1 tbs Kosher salt
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions
Preheat your oven to 450˚F. Cut your potatoes length wise about a quarter inch thick. Place in a large mixing bowl, lightly drizzle olive over them then toss to coat.

Add garlic, rosemary, and salt. Toss again to coat.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. Flip at this point and bake for another 20 minutes.
Let cool for about 5 minutes then enjoy!
Warning, do NOT get so excited and try to eat them right off the pan as burned finger tips will ensue.

**Sorry there weren't pictures of the fries. They went fast. And there may be band-aids on my fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment