Thursday, July 8, 2010

Grilled for a Grilling Recipe

RIP to my husband’s grill… ashes to ashes, charcoal dust to charcoal dust. Let’s take a moment of silence.

OKAY, now raise a glass to the new grill taking up residence on our side patio! Out with old, in with the new. I think grilling out is one of my favorite activities. It's bonding, fun do with both friends and family, and is such a simple way to get a healthy meal on the table that everyone will eat.Even my picky son was delighted with this dish. Okay, okay so I don’t really do the grilling. My hubby thinks letting me around propane and an open flame would be a disaster but I design the menu and prep so I deserve some credit right? I am master at griddle grilling so I will keep that under my belt and let him deal with the more flammable fun.

My friends and family asked if we do much grilling at home, and what simple recipes do I have to share. The fourth must have given us a dose of grill fever. I made it a challenge to put together an easy 6 ingredient grilling recipe that was simple, but tasted complex in its flavors. Well, I think I have one that is as easy as it gets. I didn’t do extensive seasoning, it doesn’t involve a lot of ingredients or puttering around the grocery store franticly looking for a store bought gluten free marinade, and was on the table in 30 minutes. Excuse me for sounding like Rachel Ray there.

Marinated Grilled Chicken & Grilled Corn with Basil Butter

Ingredients

•2 large skin on chicken breasts (bone in or out is your preference)
•Daddy Hinkle’s Liquid Marinade (yes, it is gluten free!!)
•2 husks of white corn
•¼ cup yogurt butter
•¼ cup or so fresh basil
•Kosher salt

Directions

Marinated and Grilled Chicken

Poke holes on both sides of the chicken with a fork. This allows the marinade to soak into the chicken. Sprinkle kosher salt on both sides. Place chicken breasts in a freezer bag or dish, and liberally pour Daddy Hinkle’s onto the chicken. Let marinade for at least 4 hours. The longer you marinade, the better the flavor. This part can be done in the morning, and just sit and soak while you're at work.

Pre-heat the grill on med-high to high and lay the chicken breast on the grill. A hotter temperature will cook faster and sear in the juice if grilled correctly.
Grill for approx. 4-5 minutes on one side, checking frequently to make sure the chicken is not burning. The chicken is ready to turn when the bottom side has clear sear marks and the top still is pink. Flip and grill the chicken for another 4-5 minutes on the other side, depending how large the chicken cut. Firmly touch the chicken at the thickest point to see if done. If overcooked, the chicken will feel hard without any give. If undercooked it will feel a little squishy. If cooked right it should have a little spring back.
If you are unsure if the chicken is cooked enough you can make a small cut into the thickest part of the chicken. If the center is still translucent then it needs more cook time. You could also use a meat thermometer and make sure the chicken reads 165 F.

**The chicken will continue cooking after it is taken off the grill. This is when most people overcook, because they remove the chicken too late from the grill. Once it has cooked completely through it will start drying very fast.

Grilled Corn with Basil Butter

Peel back the corn husks, but do not completely remove, and clean the threads off the kernels. Tuck the corn back up into its husk.

Grill the corn in its husk for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and take out of the husks. Shave the kernels off into a bowl. Add Basil Butter (recipe follows).

Basil Butter

Chop your basil leaves. In a food processor, or with a hand blender, combine the basil and butter. Pulse until smooth, adding a little EVOO if needed. I used a hand mixer so it helped for the mixture not to stick to the blades. I know this technically adds one more ingredient but I am sure you can let it slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment