Thursday, July 1, 2010

Let G-Freedom Ring!

Fourth of July is this weekend. I can already smell the hot dogs grilling, and feel the sticky sunscreen on my sun slapped face. I imagine the cold blades of grass, dewy from the sprinklers, soaking my toes as everyone clasps onto the few feet of shade in the backyard, trying to relinquish some time out of the blistering rays.
This year, I have am sweatin’ more than the scalding Oklahoma heat. It is another holiday that celebrates the easy grillers cuisine…hot dogs, and hamburgers. Both treats enjoyable, sans bun, but this year I am not settling for meat and cheese only. No, this girl wants the whole enchilada. Or cheeseburger…

You always hear that you want what you can’t have. Society yo-yo’s on diets that cut out carbs, sugar, and alcohol, (to name a few) and inevitably has a raging binge because we have deprived ourselves of something therefore causing us to crave. Same situation here, but this choice is a lifelong one that cannot be binged without serious pain (not just on the scale). I can’t just dive into the bread basket at the local Italian restaurant anymore, or easily make a turkey and cheese sandwich without defrosting my bread. Not complaining, just craving.

It’s not a problem unless you have a solution. Which I do.

I HAVE to stop watching Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives on Food Network because my craving for a full on cheeseburger, or any type of burger heightens. Guy Fieri, I can satisfy that craving now, and you will taunt me with your juicy jumbo burgers with all the fixings no more. Behold my weapon and co-pilot this holiday weekend, Carlee’s sandwich buns.(cue heavenly music)

Let's talk bread in general first before I revel in my new weapon. I have been shopping for my gluten free bread at Whole Foods now for a while and have run into a few favorites.Food for Life’s fruit juice sweetened brown rice bread is delicious and makes a wonderful toast and sandwich bread. I keep it in my freezer for a go to carb craving. Its dense texture has no problem holding up in my Panini maker too. Udi’s makes the most amazing sandwich bread, no defrosting necessary as it is served in the bakery section,and tastes no different than the whole wheat, whole lotta gluten brands. On the more local side of things, I have seen Carlee’s granola bars, and cookies, but now there are sandwich buns! Carlee's was founded by two sisters, Lee and Carly Squyres, and is based out of Tulsa, Oklahoma.I am all about supporting local whenever possible and supporting our community. You can order online at www.carleesglutenfree.com , find them at whole foods, or pick up orders at the coffee house on cherry street.

So, without further ado, on the menu tonight (drum roll please) Turkey and Basil Burgers on a g-free bun! This meal was so simple, and so delicious. Since my husband’s grill is throwing a hissy fit and malfunctioning at the moment, I cooked these patties on my griddle. No grill marks, but just as delicious.

Turkey and Basil Burgers

Ingredients
•1 lb ground turkey thigh (has just slightly more fat, but still very lean. And cheaper!)
•2 tsp kosher salt
•2 tbs ground black pepper
•1 tbs nutmeg
•About 10 or so basil leaves, minced
•1 box Carlee’s gluten free sandwich buns
•1 tomato (locally grown right now at whole foods)
•Arugula and spinach
•Yogurt butter

Directions
Combine Turkey, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl. Toss in basil and mix well. Divide into three portions and make patties. I made 3 large burgers, but it could easily make four.

Heat griddle to 400 degrees and grease slightly with a little yogurt butter. Season one side with remaining salt and pepper. Place burger seasoned side down on griddle for 5-7 minutes. Add seasoning to top side and flip for another 5 – 7 minutes. Remove from griddle.

Slice 3 of the burger buns down the middle. Lightly butter or brush olive oil on the halves. Place butter side down on griddle and toast.

Assemble burger with arugula and spinach mix, one slice tomato, and burger. Ours turned out very juicy and of course, complete! These buns will be taking along my leftover g-free buns to my cookouts this weekend and enjoy my holiday cuisine with ease.
As our country gained its independence this weekend, so did I from the meat and cheese only, to burger paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment