Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Something FISHY is going on here...

Something a little bit fishy happened yesterday. Fishy as in shrimp that is. Shrimp and Noodle Soup… Asian style. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this idea popped into my head but it just seemed right to make for dinner. Sometimes I like to look at other’s recipes and add/subtract this and that. Other times, like last night, I decided to create a meal from the scratch of my own thoughts. Fresh, simple, comforting, and a hint of unexpected heat. The more I thought about what I would put into the soup the more excited I got because I knew I had a lot of those items at home. I just needed to grab a couple specialty items from the ethnic section. Foreign. International. Whatever you want to call it, I would be grabbing whatever I thought would fit into my foreign soup from the shelves.

I headed to produce and grabbed a red bell pepper and organic shitake mushrooms (hooray on sale!). Some cooked shrimp, spicy sauce addition, and Asian veggies and I was set! I was really excited to see how this would all turn out.


My diet has been vegan/vegetarian for a while now, but with the exception of fish. We eat fish every once in a while because well frankly we still want it! The oils are good for my husband’s joints and like I said, our lifestyle is not about deprivation. We want to be healthy and happy. So the fishies are here to stay. However, feel free to omit the shrimp and you will have a lovely Asian vegan noodle soup!


My-Yum Shrimp & Noodle Soup

Ingredients
• 1 container vegetable broth (I used Pacific)
• ½ package gluten free Thai style noodles (I used Tinkanyada)
• 3 tbs Thai chili sauce
• 2-3 tbs gluten free soy sauce, low sodium
• Red pepper flakes to taste
• 1 can water chestnuts
• 1 can chopped baby corn
• 8-10 shitake mushrooms
• Canola oil
• 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
• Pinch kosher salt

Directions
Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add in your noodles and cook for about 12-15 minutes. Reduce heat to low.

While your noodles nestle snugly in your pot, sauté your mushrooms and pepper in a medium sauce pan with a tablespoon of canola oil. When your mushrooms are soft, add chestnuts, baby corn, and red pepper flakes to taste. After a few minutes add your soy sauce and coat all your veggies. I let it simmer for a few minutes.

Add everything into your soup pot and stir to combine. Add chili sauce. Taste test. I added a pinch of salt. We had to run an errand so I let my soup sit on low, covered to let the flavors melt together.

The soup turned out DELICIOUS if I do say so myself. My husband and I gobbled down two bowls! Yum Yum.

NOTE: I used thai style noodles thinking that they would be thinner. They were delicious but as far as looks I think I will find a super skinny rice noodle for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment