Friday, July 22, 2011

The King's Peanut Butter Cookies

“I’ll sing you a story of a silly young king

Who played with the world at the end of a string,
But he only loved one single thing --
And that was just a peanut-butter sandwich.”
Shel Silverstein’s Peanut Butter Sandwich

Better bow down!
There is something quite childlike about peanut butter. I used to eat enough peanut butter sandwiches to rival Shel Silverstein’s king who ate his mouth shut. I could easily devour half a jar in a sitting, heaping creamy ribbons around soup spoons. I digress. Clearly I adored and adore to the stuff. So when I saw Elana from Elana’s Pantry post PB&J thumbprints I giggled in immature delight as the hunger butterflies fluttered in my tummy. I knew what sweet ending would sate my peanut butter fever.

That night after a delicious open faced veggie burger, yes those little patties are flying out of my freezer and flocking to my plate this week, I decided I had to change up our savory palates and pile on some peanut butter. I flipped Elana’s recipe out of my purse and begin to gather the ingredients. Alas, I did not have any decent jam or jelly though. I felt my heart sink into my stomach slightly. Pride and persistence made my eyes leap through the ingredients I did have and what I did have was plenty of peanut butter. No shame in a simple peanut butter cookie…

Maybe I was thwarted by the “chopped” episode in the background but I wanted to give myself an on the spot challenge. A peanut butter cookie that was 5 ingredients, vegan, gluten free, flourless, and could be enjoyed in 10 minutes (not including cooling). Mission. Accomplished.

These PB puppies were plump and decadent, melting into delicious morsels as soon as you popped it into you mouth. I had to show some serious restraint dear readers as I am sure you will too. I dedicate these cookies to the king, whose royal passion for peanut butter held me captive in its verses while I clutched my many childhood peanut butter sandwiches.

The King’s Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
• 1 cup smooth (or crunchy if you wish) Peanut Butter
• ½ organic brown sugar
• 1 tbs organic vanilla
• 1 tsp baking soda
• Flax egg (1 tbs ground flax seed + 2.5 tbs warm water)

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350F.Mix your flax egg in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.

Combine all your ingredients in a large bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form 12, 1 inch balls of dough and place them on the sheet. Do not flatten! Put that fork down and step away…I did sptinkle a teeny but of kosher salt on the top which yes I know technically makes it "6" ingredients but I am sure you can forgive me hehe.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown and the cookies look “set”. Take them out and let cool for at least 10 minutes. The longer the better. They will continue to slightly cook on the sheet so do not worry if they don’t look done when you pull them out.

Plate and enjoy! I popped half in the freezer and enjoyed them last night. I highly suggest doing this if you have any left to save!
I made one dozen and saved the rest of the dough for future craving (tomorrow).

You can find Elana's Peanut Buttter and Jelly Recipe here: http://www.elanaspantry.com/

“A puff of dust, a screech, a squeak --
The king’s jaw opened with a creak.
And then in voice so faint and weak --
The first words that they heard him speak
Were, “How about a peanut-butter sandwich?”

Shel Silverstein’s Peanut Butter Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment