Thursday, July 7, 2011

Restaurant Staycation


I think most everyone wants to relive a vacation they have taken. You always say you cannot wait to go back and make incessant vows to yourself that you will. A song, a smell, a restaurant reminds you of this vow a year later, maybe two, and you curse yourself for not planning it already and promise to plant a date on your planner. The vacation that flicks periodically in mind is my honeymoon to Turks and Caicos. We swore we would return that last day of our trip as the faded yellow taxi wheeled into the palm tree lined entry to our condo. And I hope to soon. But like I said, these little promises may lurk for a while, so I decided I would find the next best thing in Tulsa.

Our chairs are still waiting for us...
 How could I possibly match the crystal Caribbean and fresh conch in Turks to the Midwest mother land of Tulsa? Well, I can’t promise you ocean and sand, but I can promise you true Caribbean cooking, fresh fish, jerk, rum punch, and so much more. This Tulsa restaurant fries plantains instead of chicken, serves callaloo instead of collards, and even offers options for vegans (Bob Marley being their favorite!), gluten free gals and pals, and of course you carnivores!

Hibiscus Restaurant on Brookside is my island staycation. You’ve heard of those right? You stay in town but treat yourself like you’re on vacation. One rum punch in, and you’ll be happily lounging in this laid back local island.

We have frequented Hibiscus since they opened their doors. We used to hit up the jerk chicken $5.99 lunch special once a week! Now I go for their vegan fare, and occasionally split the fish with the hubby. You really can’t go wrong with any of their jerk options of course, and I do begin to get the shakes if I don’t satisfy my callaloo cravings. ;)

Jerk Fish, Fried Plantains, Calaloo...and our cocktails!
I recently spoke to a Caribbean connoisseur on the inside and these were a few of her favorite things…did the sound of music just pop in your head like it did mine? Maybe steel drums in the background…okay snapping back, her favorite things: the pork chop (her number one favorite), the curry fish, and the pineapple martini. I have tried the last two and can tell you that if you haven’t given yourself a vacation from your life lately, get your overworked booty to Brookside. We most recently tried the jerk fish and I don’t know how long I can wait until I sink my fork into this flaky dish again! The fish was tender and the sauce provided the perfect heat to give your taste buds a kick! Of course I paired our entrée with callalo and fried plantains. Let’s just say that fish never stood a chance. I enjoyed delicately muddled mango mojitos and my husband stuck to is original order of rum punch. He so dearly coined it getting “rum punched” while we were on our honeymoon.

The staff is always so friendly and accommodating. The food is fresh and brings a little spice into your life. I love sitting in the natural lit room, listening to reggae ride my worries away with a sweet cocktail and a zesty dish.

I am not sure when I will be returning to the white sandy beaches of Turks, but I know I will treat myself to the Caribbean very soon just down the street!

Hibiscus Restaurant
3316 S Peoria Ave
Tulsa, OK 74105-2029
(918) 749-4700

No comments:

Post a Comment