Monday, May 21, 2012

It's A Big Dill

Sundays are a day of both catch up and preparations. The drifting smells of laundry detergent and dish soap fill the inside of my house while pungent pinion dominates my side patio during brief coffee break breathers. My mind is racing with plans for the week, checking my shortage of supplies and making endless lists.


After multiple circles around piled up clothing and stacked dishes I decided to take care of a more enjoyable task on my list: the fresh bundle of dill taking up large residence in my fruit bowl. Every time I passed the island I was filled with sweet ideas and desire.
Dill chicken, dill cheese, roasted dill vegetables…OR, Lemon Dill crackers.

An idea that sprung from the spread at Farmer's Market last Saturday. Between the booths of fresh cut flowers and grass fed meats were bundles of green, leafy dreams. Fresh Swiss chard, romaine, spinach, arugula and of course herbs provoked me from the wooden baskets and crates. One bouquet in particular seduced me in, its forest green, fluffy, skinny stems allowing me no chance of refusal. I snatched a bundle up and the delightful smell of dill pressed into my fingertips and nose. Daydreams of potential recipes skyrocketed until the sounds of the market throttled me back to reality. Back to my kitchen. Back to my oven. Back to my next recipe for you.

Lemony Dill Crackers
Based of Oh She Glows Vegan Crackers
These crackers are bursting with fresh flavors and are super easy to make. They pair beautifully with cheese but also make a pretty darn good snack by itself. Filled with nutrients and low in good fats, I know you will be making them over and over again. Feel free to sub different herbs!

Ingredients
• ½ cup brown rice flour

• ½ cup almond flour
• Half lemon, shaved peel and juice
• 3-4 tbs fresh dill, roughly chopped
• 1 tbs nutritional yeast (optional)
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• 2 tbs whole flax seed
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• ¼ cup water
• ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil


Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and mix well. Knead the dough and form into a ball.

On a baking sheet, preferable lined with parchment paper which I will do next time, roll out dough to desired thickness. I like a little thicker of a cracker but whatever you prefer of course!


Slice the dough with a pizza cutter, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment