Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Paleo...So Easy A Caveman Could Do It

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?

It was a long holiday weekend of bright sunshine, bubbly company, and boisterous surroundings. To say we were exhausted yesterday would be a gross understatement. My dear husband, sun crisped back and all, spent the day on the golf course so naturally I was responsible for the clean up/organization of our house. Typical. However, it was worth the recipe that sparked when I began to put away our leftover food stash. Loads of bananas, walnuts, and honey crowded the counter, provoking my creating juices. Apparently my body was weak but not my cooking drive. Lucky for you and for me dear readers.


I wanted to bake something simple, healthy, with clean ingredients. Obviously gluten free muffins don’t fall into any of those categories for me usually (especially simple) but that is the first thing that came to my mind. A banana base, almond flour boost, and spiced burst of flavor.

For you dedicated cross fit friends of mine, these puppies are for you too! They are “paleo” and gluten free. Maybe I need to exhaust myself in the sun and lake waters more often if this is what comes of it.

Banana Nut Muffins
Adapted from With Style & Grace
These paleo and gluten free muffins are so easy a caveman could do it! They had a great texture and melted in my mouth. I didn't even think they needed any butter or other additions. I know what my new breakfast go to is going to be now! Makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients
• 1/2 cup almond flour
• 1 tbs ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons whole flaxseed
• 1 tsp of nutmeg
• 1 tsp of salt
• 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
• 2 eggs, room temperature
• 1-2 tablespoons organic honey
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
• 1/3 chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 F.

Combine all dry ingredients, except walnuts, in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl mash your bananas well with a fork. Add in all wet ingredients to the bananas and mix well.

Add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and combine well. Do not over mix!
Fold in your pecans. Spoon batter into a lined 12 cup muffin pan, about ¾ of the way full.

Bake for about 20-23 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Melaina from Rudi's Gluten Free Bakery here,

    These muffins look great! We love simple yet healthy gluten free goodies and this fits the bill perfectly! Great job using your creativity and we look forward to your next recipe idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have made them 3 times since! I added a little natural peanut butter the last time and they were even MORE delicious. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete