Monday, July 2, 2012

Morning Margherita

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

When your godmother gives you cherry tomatoes, make a margherita.

A little miracle happened this weekend. My son slept in until 8:30 Saturday morning! A promising start to the weekend you would think right? Well, my husband decided coffee at the crack of dawn was more important. So much for sleeping in. Groggily I putted to the patio, and openly welcomed the summer air. After all, the fortunate consequence of awaking early is the brief but delightfully cool  hours before the sun begins to beat down unbearably. Four cups of coffee and rocking later, I was buzzed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Oh, and starving of course.

I headed right for the little brown bag of cherry tomatoes that my godmother gifted me the day before. As a child I would pick her vines dry, popping every little red balloon into my mouth in a frenzy. I had to restrain myself from eating the entire bag and instead pursued the recipe I thought of while taking inventory of the cupboards and fridge. Mozzarella, fresh farmer’s market basil, cherry tomatoes, and eggs… Oh yes, I would toast the weekend with a morning margherita.

Margherita Scramble
Fresh and simple ingredients made this a healthy and filling breakfast. This one will definitely be repeated! Recipe makes two large servings.

Ingredients
• 4 free range eggs
• ½ cup fresh basil, julienned
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• ¼ -1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, pulled apart into thin pieces
• Pepper and salt to taste

Directions
Cut and prepare all ingredients. Add eggs into a medium sauce pan and cook on medium/high heat. When the outsides look solid, add basil, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Fold and scramble until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste and serve!

And wouldn't you know, all that margherita caused me to get Naked after! ;)


Have you tried coconut water yet? I am officially obsessed and highly suggest you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment