Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Stinky and I Know It


I happily trotted down the produce section and eyed the snappy green asparagus bundle immediately. Oh the forbidden, oh the tormenter of my family’s soul, oh my gosh I can actually purchase without a side of guilt! I plucked the rubber banded stems out of the bin and placed them awe-stricken in my shopping cart.

Yup, I am throwing an “I’m-stinky-and-I know it” party tonight. My son seems to sing the M&M commercial, "sexy and I know it" song all the time now so it seems right to add my own G-rated spin off in hopes he'll adopt my version. Feel free to hum it while roasting.

Asparagus seems to be a point of contention at my house. My son looks at it like it’s the not so jolly green giant and my husband, well, let’s just say it makes him feel like the stinky kid in the room. I won't explain futher, you get the gist.

But, this week I am living solo so I can be "stinky" all I want. The boys are away and into the kitchen I play, cooking up dishes that have unfairly warranted teary eye ducts and turned up noses in the past. At least I think unfairly…then again I have proposed black bean brownies previously which probably lost me a few readers. I am more than okay with that though, more fudgy fingers for me. So a polite warning, those of you with an asparagus aversion don’t hate me for the following recipe.

I’ll be stinky and I know it,
An asparagus lover and I’m not afraid to show it.

Mustard Crusted Roasted Asparagus & Mushrooms
Oven roasting vegetables brings out an incredible aromatic explosion of flavors without a lot of work or ingredients. This is very simple and very quick. After all, I wouldn’t want you slaving away in this heat to be the stinky kid the room.

Ingredients
• 1 bundle asparagus
• 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
  2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3/4 jar stone ground mustard of choice, I found a lovely organic g-free french brand
• Pepper


Directions
Preheat your oven to 450 F.

Clean and trim the bottoms of the asparagus stems. In a large bowl coat mushrooms and asparagus witht eh olive oil. Add your mustard, combine well, and let marinate while your oven heats.

When oven has heated, lay spears and mushrooms evenly on a baking sheet. Lightly dust with black pepper. Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes, turning half way.


Let cool and serve! I was eating it right off the baking sheet…but hey like I said, I am solo!

No comments:

Post a Comment