Friday, June 7, 2013

I always tell the girls...A Friendship Fairytale Dinner



My friends and I decided to all cook together last night. Usually I am horrific at letting anyone help me cook because I am quite particular about how I like things prepared. Sassy Indie in the kitchen. You don’t know how to mince like I want? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

However, “too many cooks in the kitchen” didn’t describe our night. We all divvied up the menu and everyone helped prep. I didn’t even try to hit anyone with my wooden spoon once. Promise. C’mon wine is a sedative dears. And I may have used dry minced garlic to avoid mincing massacres.

My contribution to this affair was the entrée. I determinedly decided the delicious mangos atop the crates at the store needed to marry a spiced, garlic chicken. I wanted to keep it simple, as nobody wants to be in the kitchen while the gals gossip gleefully on the patio while basking in the warm summer breeze. Glass of wine or not.

The soiree was that of a friendship fairytale. We indulged on light appetizers al fresco and soaked in the night. My friend Lauren complimented the chicken effortlessly with a mouthwatering medley of a side salad encompassing arugula and spinach melting into crisp veggies and light balsamic. Utter perfection.

**To my dear girlfriends, you are my soulmates.**



Roasted Garlic Chicken with Mango Salsa
This recipe takes very little prep time and is perfect for a night you want to catch up with the girls. Or just don’t want to fuss with a neurotic cook such as myself. The mango delightfully compliments the spice and punch of the garlic and sea salt.


Ingredients

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Dried minced garlic
  • Sea Salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • 3 mangos, diced
  • 3 small vine tomatoes
  • Extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.

Coat the chicken with olive oil, and thoroughly cover with the garlic, sea salt and pepper. Go a little more heavy handed on the garlic. Trust me.

Bake for 45 minutes to one hour. Let rest for 10 minutes.

While your chicken bakes, prepare the salsa. Dice the mangos and tomatoes and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbs olive oil, and 2 tsp sea salt. Optional: Add diced avocado or red onion. Toss and set aside.
Plate your chicken and heap the salsa on top.

Now get your bum on the patio with the girls and revel in the delightful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment