Sunday, May 9, 2010

"EGG'stential Circumstances


After I finally found out that all my problems had derived from a gluten allergy, I figured that I would be free to eat whatever did not contain it. However, eggs and sugar still sent my tummy flying off the handle. I had already succumbed to the diet and lifestyle and decided to make peace with it but now I felt like there was a whole list of other dietary demons. I started researching and found that the damage I had unknowingly caused to my small intestine would take up to two weeks to heal, causing me to be sensitive to many foods. Eggs being one of my most volatile villains. They said to slowly reintroduce these antagonistic elements back into my diet and I should react normally in a month’s time. WHEW!
That said, I decided the best way to slowly introduce eggs back into my diet would be to bake! Okay, and maybe a small craving for something sweet. I have baked a couple different cookies, a few cakes and one cupcake recipe so far, and have run across a lot of obstacles in the oven. Baking times are different, and I tend to be a crazed cook staring helplessly into the lit oven, coaching and coaxing the outside of my cakes not to burn as the inside cooks at a glacial pace. Presentation has not quite taken part yet, as my cookies are tending to stick to the parchment paper but everything tastes wonderful! I could not get my hubby and son to stay out of my chocolate chip cookies the other day.
I had a wonderful success with the following peanut butter and banana cake recipe on my first run! The taste of peanut butter and banana marry so well, and the cake was absolutely irresistible! It kept well frozen too, so I had a go to snack attack treat. This recipe, compliments from glutenfreegoddess.

Not only is the cake gluten-free and sugar-free, it's grain-free. So those of you on sugar and yeast-free diets can indulge.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8 or 9-inch cake pan with greased parchment.

Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl:
4 ripe medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup organic natural peanut butter (I used creamy for a rich texture)
1/3 cup organic agave nectar or honey (use the agave, so good!)
2 organic free-range large eggs
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
Whisk the dry ingredients together first, then beat into the wet mixture till smooth:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup fine almond meal
Dash of stevia powder , to taste (I used ¼ cup brown sugar instead!)
Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, to taste
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and place in the center of the pre-heated oven.

Bake until done - about 35 to 40 minutes - and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean. I went closer to 40 minutes and the middle was still just a tab creamier, but no complaints on this end!

Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.

Makes 8 to 9 servings. Freezes well, pieces wrapped individually. Yummy cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment