Thursday, January 13, 2011

No E-I-E-I-Oatmeal

I love breakfast food. I honestly cannot recall a time recently when I have skipped this very important meal. It jumpstarts my metabolism and keeps me satisfied until my mid morning snack. It’s such a versatile meal too. I feel like the list of possibilities can go on and on. So which do I want to share with you today? Cereal, toast, eggs cooked countless ways, cold pizza, French toast, pancakes, waffles, casseroles, oatmeal…WAIT STOP! Oatmeal. That’s the one I was looking for. And not just any kind of oatmeal. Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal.

Hey...did I lose you there? Have you stopped reading because I threw out the V word? Don’t disregard this tasty meal because it doesn’t contain anything produced by an animal. I eat those meals too so I am not preaching to that aspect,

but I can honestly vouch that this oatmeal tastes BETTER! Soy Milk, rolled oats, organic brown sugar, fresh sweet blueberries, ground cinnamon…Ok, are you back with me now?

It’s been absolutely freezing here in Tulsa the last week or so and I am NOT a cold weather gal. I begin to shiver when the temperature dips below 65. The only time I’ll stand and enjoy the cold is when I am in the mountains, preferably skiing.

That said, a bowl of cereal and cold milk ain’t cutting it in the morning my friends. I need something warm, filling, satisfying and healthy. And something that I can prepare and eat pretty quickly since it is after all a work morning.

This oatmeal is simple. And simply wonderful. Enjoy.

Vegan Oatmeal with Blueberries

• 1 cup rolled oats, or Quaker old fashioned oats
• 1 ½ cups Soy Milk ( I used light)
• Dash of kosher salt
• 1 tbs ground cinnamon
• 1 tbs organic brown sugar
• ½ cup -1 cup blueberries

Heat the soy milk in a sauce pan with a dash of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Add the oats and Stir. Reduce heat to medium and stir frequently for about 7-9 minutes for Quaker old fashioned oats or until most of the liquid is absorbed. I like mine thicker so I let it cook down a bit. Add cinnamon and brown sugar and stir.

Remove from heat and add blueberries. Place in bowls and serve!
This makes 2 big bowls for the hubby and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment