Monday, May 23, 2011

Rudi's OH-some Onion O's

My entry for Rudi's Gluten Free Cooking Contest:
Rudi's OH-some Onion O's
Gluten free, Baked, Kid and Adult Tested and Approved!

I am so excited to share with you my entry for Rudi’s Gluten Free contest. I have come up with a recipe that can be used as an appetizer, snack, or side. It can be dressed up for the party with its accompanying dipping sauce, or hang out beside you on a casual football Sunday. Whichever you choose, I can promise you that these little O’s are oh so delicious.

I wouldn’t necessarily call fried food a foe, but it is certainly not a friend of mine. For one, those oils can be contaminated and two they don’t often sit well in this Indie’s tummy. So, since I have been mastering the art of using cooking alternatives I have come up with a gluten free, healthier onion ring. Now, who can resist the leaning tower of crispy onion goodness glistening from my menu? Especially if you take out the frying and replace it with baking. A classic southern concoction that cuts calories and adds flavor is something I know that I personally cannot resist!

I experimented in the kitchen with many different ingredients and recipes. One of the challenges I ran into was deciding on which milk would bring the best flavor to the rings. I decided that since I feel better when I do not indulge in a lot of moo-cow dairy that I would use soy milk in my recipe, however please feel free to use whatever milk your little heart (or tummy!) desires.

These little O's were so delicious! I had to beat away my husband and inlaws so I could snap a picture for the contest before they gobbled them up. Yum to the last crumb!

Please go online to Facebook and vote for my recipe! The first round is based on facebook votes and I would love to have the chance to be considered by the panel of judges!




Rudi's OH-some Onion O's

Ingredients:
•2 slices Rudi's Orginal Gluten Free Bread
•2 Vidalia Onions
•1/2 cup rice flour
•Kosher Salt
•Black Pepper
•Cayenne
•Italian Seasoning
•1 tbs Canola Oil
•Olive Oil Spray
•Ground Chia or Flax seeds
•Soy Milk (or milk of choice)

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.

Place 2 slices of day old Rudi's Gluten Free Bread in your food processor with 1/4 cup of rice flour. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, itlaian seasoning and cayenne. Pulse a few times then add oil. Process for about 30 seconds or until crumbly. Place your delicious homemade breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.

In a bowl combine 1/4 cup rice flour, chia egg (1 tbs ground chia and 3 tbs water), and 1/2 cup soy milk. Whisk until combined and formed into batter consistency.

Slice your onions into 1/2 inch circles and separate into rings. Wipe tears away from handling onions! Keep the larger rings and save the others for later. Place all your rings in a bowl and cover with milk, letting them soak while your oven finishes heating.

At the sound of the 'beep' dip your onion rings into the batter then the bread crumbs. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray and place your little O's on the sheet. Spray the top of the rings as well so they crisp nicely.

Bake for 8 minutes then flip and bake for another 6-8 or until they are golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy the compliments!

No comments:

Post a Comment