Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grey Days, Souper Comfort

Springtime storms are officially here. It is another gray and rainy morning here in Tulsa. I keep reminding myself that the heavy clouds are pouring colors into our dreary surroundings. I am happy to see the lavender buds on the trees, and the pops of white petals drifting in the warm breezes. This morning I have yet to fully awake as I write but alas I do have to be at work early this week so I have no choice but to wipe the sleep from my eyes and begin. So bear with these stiff fingers and clouded mind as I share with you a delicious vegan soup!

Ah soup. Such a perfect comfort food. I have been on many soup binges in my life I must admit. Hey, don’t judge, we can’t help what we crave sometimes. It could be a hundred degrees, humid, and sweltering, and my soup fix could get me itchin’. Maybe because it is such a versatile little bowl of nutrients. Or the fact that it seems to warm my tummy and easy my troubles simultaneously.

Regardless of why I crave it, it’s important that I pay attention to what kind of soup I am eating these days. And not just because of the lurking gluten monster disguising itself in the ingredients. Canned soups can pack a ton of extra sodium that makes my joints cry out with swollen sobs. Plus, who wants UFI’s (unidentified floating ingredients) in their bowl? Well, not me. But hey, if you’re comfortable teetering that Area 51 line go right ahead! It’s not to say that I haven’t divulged in a cup of Ramen in my day. Now I just am aware of how puffy I plump with the additives so I think I personally will steer clear. Maybe it was also a sign when I managed to catch my ramen noodles on fire in the sorority house microwave. No water = flames. See, we all have to grow our “natural” cooking skills from somewhere.

My remedy to the soup equation I have rolling here would be to make your OWN soup! That is much more satisfying anyway right? I looked at a ton of soup recipes over the weekend and managed to settle on my one to share. My past soups were good, but I wanted to try something new for you. A couple blogs mentioned this stew, and after a couple of my own little tweaks I think it was PERFECT! I am thrilled also because it makes a lot so I have a comfort food dinner to last me through the next gray days.

Here is the original recipe below, and you can find my changes in the notes. I had to take in account some g-free factors of course in my recipe and directions. Both I am sure are delicious and nutritious.



Kathy's Veggie (vegan) Pasta Stew

  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium tomato
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 
    I think a better camera is in order...
    
  • 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh garlic
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp Italian Herbs
  • 1 potato, diced
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast or 1/4 cup vegan cheese
  • 1 cup dry fusilli pasta
  • 1/3 cup leftover roasted tomato salsa
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1 can of beans, drained (I used white cannellini beans)
  • 6 ounces leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, collard..)
optional: a few dashes of cayenne for added heat.


Directions:

1. In a large soup pot, add the onions, tomato, mushrooms, garlic and olive oil. Stir and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onions become translucent.

2. Add in all the remaining ingredients (except the beans and leafy greens). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with lid. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Do a few taste tests midway through and check on the salt/spice levels.

3. When you are just about ready to serve the soup, you can add in the beans and greens. Adding the last keeps them tender and not mushy. If you want your greens a bit more hearty, use kale or collard. Spinach wilts very easily.

4. Serve warm! With a nice slice of crusty bread.



My changes to the Recipe:

  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms – I used a blend pack of portobella, cremini and shitake
  • 2 small/medium vine tomatoes
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbs pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cups organic, low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp Fine Herbs
  • 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
  • ¼ cup vegan cheddar
  • 1 cup dry gluten free fusilli pasta
  • 1 tbs kosher salt (or to taste)
  • 1 can of beans, drained (I used white cannellini beans)
  • 6 ounces leafy greens – I used a large bunch of fresh spinach since it cooks down
I added a tbs or so of Cajun seasoning to bring out the flavor and spice.

Directions:

1. In a large soup pot, add the onions, tomato, mushrooms, garlic and olive oil. Stir and saute for about 10 minutes, until the onions become translucent.

2. Add in all the remaining ingredients (except the beans, pasta and leafy greens). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with lid. I transferred to my crock pot and let it simmer on low for 40 minutes. Do a few taste tests midway through and check on the salt/spice levels.

3. While your soup is simmering, cook you gluten free pasta to al dente. With the potatoes begin to soften, about 30 minutes, add in your pasta to the pot.

4. When you are just about ready to serve the soup, you can add in the beans and greens. Adding the last keeps them tender and not mushy. If you want your greens a bit more hearty, use kale or collard. Spinach wilts very easily.

5. Serve warm! I toasted Food for Life’s gluten free rice bread in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of Cajun spice to accompany the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment