Thursday, September 22, 2011

Morning Breakfast Memo

As a food blogger who is writing and snapping away photos on a daily basis in hopes to capture the next perfect post, I often forget to share the everyday go-to meals. The quick, unfancy shmancy meals that don’t necessarily photograph beautifully but taste dare I say close to go-to gourmet? Maybe I can toot my own horn a bit when my breakfast takes 5 minutes to prepare the night before and magically materializes into scrumptious homemade bliss during the night. I love getting home from my early work out knowing that I won’t be frantically fumbling through the cabinets to produce a filling meal. (I can be quite ravenous after a good run, you are warned!) I have enough on my plate during the mornings before the kiddo is whisked off to school as it is, so my own hunger pains most often take a back seat. And, let’s be honest, sometimes cereal just ain’t cuttin’ it.


I make overnight oats every week. Well, okay I will admit it, practically everyday. When my mind jumbles into goo after a long day and I forget to make them the night before, I throw it together quickly before I leave for work, let them soak for an hour or two, and enjoy a bowl before nine.

I usually dig in to the oats cold, delectably dipping into their dough-like texture but today it is rainy. And cold. And icky. So I popped them into the ‘wave for a minute and poof! Warm comfort before me. I can tackle the day now.

I buy oats in bulk because I use them for breakfasts, grind them into oat flour, and of course can’t resist making cookies with them! I am the crazy lady with the 3 pound plastic bagged giant in my shopping cart and proud of it! Oh and if you want to know exactly, I buy gluten free old fashioned oats.

Please excuse my to-go bowl and spoon...
As a constant snacker I can vouch that these tykes keep me satisfied until lunch! It is a low calorie breakfast that brags oodles of nutritional value. This staple of mine stabilizes my blood sugar, and gives me a substantial dose of fiber, vitamin B, fiber and protein. Studies report that oats help keep your heart healthy and boost your immune system too!

So let me make your already bopping about to solve world peace and still get out of the house with your thinking cap and knickers on morning easier by making these yummy to your gluten free tummy oats!

Staple Overnight Oats
serves one

Ingredients

• ½ cup gluten free old fashioned oats
• ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice-I use soy milk too)
• 1 tbs chia seeds
• 1 tbs flax seeds
• 1-2 tbs ground cinnamon ( I love the stuff!)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 tbs agave nectar (or honey if you prefer)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight. If you forget to make them the night before (guilty) you can make them the morning of and let them seat for at least an hour. To enjoy warm, place in the microwave for 1 minute.

I top mine with almond butter usually or whatever fruit is in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment