Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Warning: Curves Ahead

There is a lot of newness around here. New season, new house, filled with new furniture… I am currently claiming (or trying to convince more so) that my newly sprouted spontaneous curves are the purposed result of adopting fall’s 1940’s look rather than the seven months of binging on lunches and to-go orders. I am sticking to my guns for now.

So, I am in my new place and ready for a newly organized weekly regime. My hour lunch will be blissfully spent at home, prepping dinner and indulging in healthy portioned meals. Nothing wrong with “curves” but curving outward in the belly region is a call to curb my cravings. I digress.

All that fluff (and hopefully a little flub soon) behind, a healthy and delicious recipe for you! I prepared this yesterday morning and let it simmer slowly all day. There is nothing better than coming home to the delicious aroma of roasting vegetables, and a giant hug from your kiddo.

Wild Rice & Vegetable Stew

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked wild rice
• 2 cups butternut squash (fresh or frozen), cubed
• 2 cups sliced mushrooms
• 2 cartons vegetable broth (I used Pacific)
• 1 large yellow onion, half mooned
• 3 small carrots, diced
• 3 tbs Italian seasoning
• 3 stalks celery, diced
• 2 tbs earth balance
• 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tbs red pepper flakes
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Place all dry ingredients ingredients in your crock pot then add your broth. Let simmer on low for 6-8 hours. I started mine in the morning and let it cook all day on low.

When ready to serve, turn off remove lid and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mine turned out much more like a stew then soup but it was cooking for a while. It was hearty and delicious!

This made a lot of stew so I am excited for leftovers! It soothed my husband and my tired bones from moving all weekend! This recipe is gluten free and vegan.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment