Saturday, February 23, 2013

Blankets & Blueberries


The snow is covering the ground like thick, fluffy blankets. I sit watching it breezily dust my windowsill, curled up with a mug of tea. The fireplace’s heat licks my frosty skin and I allow myself to sink into the smells coming from the kitchen. The wait for homemade baked bread is worth it, and I try to remain patient. Finally my buzzer goes off and I sprint to remove the doughy, pillow top loaf from its warm bed. Blueberry oozes out gently from the crust. I will be lucky if it tastes half as good as it looks. 

I am one very lucky girl. It tasted as beautifully as it looked. Enjoy dear readers.




Blueberry Breakfast Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1 bag gluten free bread mix (I used Bob Mills)
  • 1 yeast packet
  • 1 3/4 warm almond milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1 large egg, 3 egg whites

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small bowl mix yeast and warm almond milk. Let stand for about 5-7 minutes until it begins to bubble.

In a mixing bowl add your flour bread mix, butter, apple sauce, yeast and almond milk mixture, and eggs. Mix on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. 

Gently fold in the blueberries and pour dough into a 9x5 bread pan. Cover with foil and multiple towels and place somewhere warm (about 80 degrees F). Let dough rise for 30-40 minutes. With a wet spatula smooth the surface.

Bake for one hour in the oven. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment